An illuminated glass globe, mounted atop a gasoline station pump for display of the gasoline marketer's logo.
Globes began to appear on pumps before 1910. The company emblem was etched (or painted) on the sides of the globe. A light bulb inside gave brilliance to the display.
Globes began to disappear from the gasoline marketing scene after World War II. They are not used on modern gasoline station dispensers.
So-called "gas pump globes" have become collector's items.