You are here


Devices used to deflect or slow the flow of liquid in a tank or other vessel, and to minimize sloshing of liquid in a tank truck.

For example, as a mixture of oil and water flows through an oil/water separator, it is necessary to temporarily reduce the velocity of the mixture and thus allow the water an opportunity to separate from the oil. This is accomplished through use of a series of plates, called baffles, positioned inside the tank of the separator. The plates may be set at an angle. As liquid flows through, it encounters each of the plates, and its movement is temporarily checked.