On July 5, 2011 EPA published guidance in the Federal Register regarding compatibility of underground storage tank (UST) systems with biofuel blends. The guidance discusses how owners and operators who wish to store gasoline containing more than 10 percent ethanol or diesel containing more than 20 percent biodiesel in their UST systems may demonstrate compliance with the compatibility requirement in 40 CFR 280.32.
Compliance Letters by Manufacturer
EPA has identified the following UST component determined to be critical for demonstrating compatibility:
- Tank or internal lining
- Line leak detector
- Flexible connectors
- Drop tubes
- Spill and overfill prevention equipments
- Submersible turbine pump and components
- Sealants (including pipe dope and thread sealant), fittings, gaskets, o-rings, bushings, couplings and boots
- Containment sumps (including submersible turbine sumps and under-dispenser containment)
- Release detection floats, sensors and probes
- Fill and riser caps
- Product shear valves
Manufacturers who would like to be included should email their compatibility statements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Preferred format is Adobe Acrobat PDF. When submitting, please note that your compatibility statement should:
- Be on your company letterhead
- Be signed by an officer of the company
- Include the four elements required by EPA:
- In writing
- An affirmative statement of compatibility;
- Specify the range of biofuel blends with which the component is compatible;
- Be directly from the equipment manufacturer, not another entity (such as the installer or distributor)
- Include complete contact information for the signing officer, in the event a user has questions
- Be titled in as clear a manner as possible to help users quickly identify which components are covered in the statement.
Note: Just as a public library collects books without making any judgment on the appropriateness, accuracy, completeness or suitability of any of the volumes it maintains, PEI makes no judgment on the appropriateness, accuracy completeness or suitability of any statement included in the UST Compatibility Library. The Library is simply a repository of what has been submitted.
Please also remember that participation in the Library is voluntary. So, while we’ve worked to encourage as much participation as possible, PEI cannot guarantee that the Library is a complete listing of all approved products.