The PEI Overfill, Leak Detection and Release Prevention Equipment Testing Committee developed Recommended Practices for the Testing and Verification of Spill, Overfill, Leak Detection and Secondary Containment Equipment at UST Facilities, PEI/RP1200.
PEI produced RP1200 as an industry service in response to requests from underground storage tank (UST) system operators, tank testers and regulators for a single authoritative source of information. The document summarizes general guidelines for the inspection and testing of leak detection, release prevention and overfill prevention equipment at UST facilities.
These recommended practices apply to facilities with USTs used for the storage of motor fuels, jet fuels, distillate fuel oils, residual fuel oils, lubricants, petroleum solvents and used oils.
The recommended practices apply to USTs, connected underground piping and underground ancillary equipment and containment systems. The document is not intended to address the design, installation or day-to-day operation of UST systems.
The 2019 edition includes a new section 6.6, which outlines procedures on when and how to perform low liquid level testing of containment sumps under certain site conditions. It also includes Appendix C-4-A, a checklist to complete low liquid level testing.
Single-copy price is $75 for PEI members and $295 for nonmembers.
View the RP1200 Table of Contents
- C-1 Tank Secondary Containment Integrity Testing Dry Test Method
- C-2 Piping Secondary Containment Integrity Testing
- C-3 Spill Bucket Integrity Testing Hydrostatic Test Method Single- and Double-Walled Vacuum Test Method
- C-4 Containment Sump Integrity Testing Hydrostatic Testing Method
- C-4-A Containment Sump Testing Low Liquid Level Test Method
- C-5 UST Overfill Equipment Inspection Automatic Shutoff Device and Ball Float Valve
- C-6 Overfill Alarm Operation Inspection
- C-7 Automatic Tank Gauge Operation Inspection
- C-8 Liquid Sensor Functionality Testing
- C-9 Mechanical and Electronic Line Leak Detectors Performance Tests
- C-10 Shear Valve Operation Inspection
- C-11 Emergency Stop Switch Operation Inspection