As Hurricane Florence threatens the East Coast (read about recent evacuations here), PEI has compiled links to resources so members can prepare for and recover from disasters. Click these links, print and make copies of important information and save documents in a waterproof container stored in the highest level of your home or business. Back up everything to the cloud or an off-site server.
Most important, evacuate immediately if your local emergency management authorities give orders to move to safer locations. If you or your business is affected by Hurricane Florence, please let us know how you're doing and how PEI members can help.
To report oil spills or chemical releases, call the National Response Center at 800-424-8802.
- Get real-time alerts from the National Weather Service for up to five locations nationwide.
- Learn emergency safety tips for more than 20 disaster types, including hurricanes, earthquakes, fires, tornadoes.
- Locate open emergency shelters in your area and find disaster recovery centers where you can talk to FEMA in person.
- Toggle between English and Spanish.
- Register yourself as safe and well.
- Search for others who have registered themselves safe and well.
- Free messaging.
- Communicate without internet, cellular coverage or data.
Multi-State FMCSA Waivers (Sigma)
Energy Waiver Library (DOE)
- Real-time traffic, road information.
- Community-shared gas prices.
Energy Infrastructure with Real-Time Storm Information (Energy Information Administration)
Timeline to Prep for a Hurricane (Ready.gov)
Oil and Natural Gas Industry Preparedness Handbook (American Petroleum Institute)
Playbook for an Effective All-Hazards Chemical Sector Response (Chemical Sector Coordinating Council and Department of Homeland Security)
Disaster Assistance (DisasterAssistance.gov)
Training Guide to Ethanol Emergency Response (EthanolResponse.com)
PEI Recommended Practices
- RP500: Inspection and Maintenance of Motor Fuel Dispensing Equipment
- RP900: Inspection and Maintenance of UST Systems
- RP1200: Testing and Verification of Spill, Overfill, Leak Detection and Secondary Containment Equipment at UST Facilities
- RP1400: Design and Installation of Fueling Systems for Emergency Generators, Stationary Diesel Engines and Oil Burner Systems