Any organization can get decision rights right if its leaders will give the matter enough attention and focus, according to a Deloitte Insights article by Tiffany McDowell and David Mallon.
Getting it right, according to the authors, depends largely on a small set of factors. Their research shows that organizations with high organization design maturity:
- Simplify and clarify decision rights across the organization.
- Establish strong, transparent accountability for decisions made.
- Align individuals in decision-making groups to a common mission.
- Encourage distributed authority.
- Prioritize the customer voice in decisions.