Vapor Tight Tanks and ATG readings

Discuss underground storage tank regulations and compliance issues.
CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Vapor Tight Tanks and ATG readings

Postby CherokeeUST » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:46 pm

I was looking through the latest PEI Journal and saw a new article about an old problem.

It seems strange that this issue hasn't been solved already.

PEI Journal Article
http://digital.peijournal.org/peijourna ... pg=54#pg54

LUST Line articles. http://www.neiwpcc.org/lustline/llarchive.asp
Lust Line 77
LUSTline #62
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

ZMiller
Head Tech

Re: Vapor Tight Tanks and ATG readings

Postby ZMiller » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:40 pm

What is the question again? If it is getting an accurate reading on a tight tank equiped with a vent stack pressure/vacuum valve working, through a fill tube with a wooden stick? the answer is it can't be done once you start dispensing through a nozzle. What makes the whole ignoration of basic physics so funny is it is only rare these days to find a tank that is actually tight. It is sad that a (perfectly) tight tank has the greatest risk of being OVER filled.
"When you are dead, it's likely you won't know it. It will be difficult only for others. It's the same if you are stupid"
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

ZMiller
Head Tech

Postby ZMiller » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Actually the problem is solved with what's called a "tank stick correction gage. We could suggest a regulation making installation mandatory but we are as the present administration in Washington says somewhat over regulated now.
"When you are dead, it's likely you won't know it. It will be difficult only for others. It's the same if you are stupid"
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Postby CherokeeUST » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:23 am

If we made the vent caps less air tight we could solve this. Just make them so air can enter but not escape.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

ZMiller
Head Tech

Postby ZMiller » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:34 am

Drill bigger holes in the sides of fill tubes maybe?

Return to “Compliance & Regulations”