Petroleum Equipment Forum
Petroleum Equipment Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Users | Search | Help
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Business, Service & Construction
 Service & Technical
 hpv-20 offline
Bookmark and Share
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jberthi2

599 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  08:13:43  Show Profile
I have a few sites running buypak 5.04.09 unbranded. Throughout the week the sapphire often shows HPV-20 unavailable (2), I've replaced CAT5 cables to the routers which hasn't helped, then realized that this issue is occurring at many of these stores and basically told them to live with it. My Shell stores don't see this message unless its an obvious problem such as HPV-20 turned off or a cable came unplugged. It doesn't affect their operation but I'm curious if anyone else running buypass is having similar problems. Why do we need HPV-20 anyway, only Shell does automatic backups.

gdtaylor

USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  10:31:11  Show Profile
quote:
Why do we need HPV-20 anyway, only Shell does automatic backups.

1. You can't load Sapphire newpro without it
2. You have to have the HPV-20 to take advantage of the backup and restore functionality feature
3. The HPV-20 is the only means to connect to the Sapphire for diagnostics assistance on gempro from the helpdesk that DOES NOT require the site be taken down for a sysmanger dial
4. The HPV-20 is the ONLY connection point to remotely diagnose issues on newpro.
5. The hpv-20 stores copies of t-logs generated during operation of the site ( allows review of t-logs for possible issues, retrieving older reports )

and a few more things that go on in the background.

Greg Taylor
Product Support Engineer
Verifone, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

gdtaylor

USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  10:32:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jberthi2

I have a few sites running buypak 5.04.09 unbranded. Throughout the week the sapphire often shows HPV-20 unavailable (2), I've replaced CAT5 cables to the routers which hasn't helped, then realized that this issue is occurring at many of these stores and basically told them to live with it. My Shell stores don't see this message unless its an obvious problem such as HPV-20 turned off or a cable came unplugged. It doesn't affect their operation but I'm curious if anyone else running buypass is having similar problems. Why do we need HPV-20 anyway, only Shell does automatic backups.

Now for the actual issue....

Are these Sapphire / Ruby or Sapphire / Topaz sites ?

Greg Taylor
Product Support Engineer
Verifone, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

dave h

USA
318 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  21:19:13  Show Profile
question, shell Sapphire/ruby, 4.02.03 same problems at various sites, cables changed, network hub changed, even changed the HPV-20 can use SMS to see PLU's, newpro bd, always comes up HP 20 unavailable (2) LOGS SHOW NO PROBLEMS, reports are right on, journal printer works fine, backup does work to some extent but that problem is at all our Shell locations, won't save any of the PLU's or fuel setup files.
Go to Top of Page

lewichris

USA
1889 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  00:11:35  Show Profile
Only time i see this issue is when they accidentaly unplug the sapphire Ethernet connection to....well.... i dont have a clue why they unplug it. Point is, I do not see this problem at any of the sites that i have installed. That or they dont tell me.

You can do whatever you want. It is your Equipment. Just don't do it at 3:00 on Friday afternoon when i am on-call
Go to Top of Page

gdtaylor

USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  03:56:40  Show Profile
Overall, the HPV-20 UNAVAILABLE(2) message is fairly benign, as long as you are only seeing this message on the non-routing workstations

If you are seeing this message, it indicates a couple of things

1. That there is a gemlan connection between the workstatation where the message is being displayed and the Sapphire, however, the connection may have sporadic issues

2. For Some reason, there was at least a brief loss of communications across the gemlan network

Look very, very closely at lan termination settings, making sure that the 2 points on the gemlan that are electrically the furthest apart are the ONLY points in the lan that are terminated.

Greg Taylor
Product Support Engineer
Verifone, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

jberthi2

599 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  08:01:46  Show Profile
Thanks, gemlan termination could definitely be an issue at these sites, Most of them are not terminated.
Go to Top of Page

gdtaylor

USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  10:00:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jberthi2

Thanks, gemlan termination could definitely be an issue at these sites, Most of them are not terminated.

REMINDER --- Any changes to gemlan termination require a reboot of the Sapphire or workstation where the changes are being made.

Greg Taylor
Product Support Engineer
Verifone, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

jpowers

USA
658 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  11:07:01  Show Profile  Visit jpowers's Homepage
We see this weekly at our EPS locations ONLY. Rebooting the HPV20 gets rid of it. I can only assume that the unit is dropping comm on ehternet....for whatever reason. It's not enough of an issue to have created a case for it.

If everyone is thinking the same...no-one is really thinking.
Go to Top of Page

gdtaylor

USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  12:52:04  Show Profile
It is not an ETHERNET com loss if you are seeing HPV20 UNAVAILABLE(2) that is a gemlan com loss

Greg Taylor
Product Support Engineer
Verifone, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

jpowers

USA
658 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  18:21:49  Show Profile  Visit jpowers's Homepage
Well, regaurdless, rebooting the unit gets rid of it.

If everyone is thinking the same...no-one is really thinking.
Go to Top of Page

lewichris

USA
1889 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  20:30:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gdtaylor

It is not an ETHERNET com loss if you are seeing HPV20 UNAVAILABLE(2) that is a gemlan com loss

That is what we were seeing at the site where the ethernet was unplugged from the router.

You can do whatever you want. It is your Equipment. Just don't do it at 3:00 on Friday afternoon when i am on-call
Go to Top of Page

TNE

USA
437 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  12:03:50  Show Profile
I've seen this issue alot at most of our Shell sites(4.02.03), most of which are using a V950. Rebooting the HPV-20 cures it about 90 percent of the time. Re-imaging covers the rest. Most of our sites have gotten to the point of ignoring it at this point.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bookmark and Share
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Petroleum Equipment Forum © 2014 Petroleum Equipment Institute Go To Top Of Page
Register Now! XML Feed Follow us on Facebook RSS Feed Snitz Forums 2000