Petroleum Equipment Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Users | Search | Help
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Opinion Polls
 Older Tech Being Forced Out
Bookmark and Share
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kperlow

USA
2875 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  21:29:25  Show Profile
I knew I wasn't the only one. LOL
Go to Top of Page

mr_hydraulic

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  00:39:46  Show Profile
Smiley you forgot about those dual Tokheim 2250's and dual Wayne 734's with the veeder root reset and both money and gallon pulsers. What about those slam banger center shaft computers............oh how I long for the good old days of when it was broke you could actually see the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Gas4U

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  18:48:56  Show Profile
Funny Just Yesterday Had a Problume with a Tokheim Sub Motor Makes Me Wonder if any of these Young Tech would Even Know how to Disconect the Yoke Assy On one.
Go to Top of Page

smiley74

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  19:47:28  Show Profile
Hey Gas4U,

I have to ask, that tokiem sounds REAL familar, 2 techs(in orlando office) had 1 and they spent 7-8 hrs on it, they hack sawed in to the start cap area, beat the element of the yoke till they could not even seperate it, and god knows what else, they were at our shop and showed me pics of the results of 7-8 hrs of tecnical skills...Now construction has to replace the WHOLE sub assy and replace it with either FEPETRO or RJ...Oh, I think either or both is 20-25 yrs younger than me...
Go to Top of Page

Cvine

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  09:02:57  Show Profile
As a younger tech i think its harder to find a job in this industry coming in green. Unless you know someone or you have previous exp doing working that could resemble even close to what we do you really have a small chance of actually getting a job. With G-site/ruby etc going out of compliance here soon and getting into more of the computer technology with these POS systems the younger guys may have an advantage to some of the older techs that really dont want to work on the newer stuff.

Smiley everyone has to learn somehow. My 1st vapor motor i had to replace was on an older advantage with the overhead vapor motors. All i had was a box with a new motor and a get it done from the office. I didnt even have a ladder on my van i had to call around to other techs finally found one that lent me a ladder. Tried to ask him for a little help for it being my 1st time and he just said Good luck and left the ladder. The 1st time i worked on a red jacket relay can it blew up in my face and i went blind for a few minutes.

I think it has alot to do with training and the younger techs just getting shot to the wolves instead of being properly trained on how to do stuff. There are only a few older techs i know that would drop his hat to help me with a problem that i couldnt figure out. Most of the older techs at our company have this job security complex and feel that if US (younger) techs learn stuff they are out of a job and thats not the case. The way i see it is every tech at your company works for the company not the tech himself. If jonny dumb**** blows up a gas station it affects the entire company. So why not teach these younger guys the tricks of the trade and expand your company for its and your benefit. The more these younger techs fail at stuff like you explained smiley it affects you more than if they were taught how to do it and get it done in a quarter of the time.

Just my 2cents
Go to Top of Page

CNTech

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  13:59:47  Show Profile
I would have to agree that alot of the younger techs do not have the work ethics that they should. Most of then dont even know the true meaning of a honest days work. And yes alot of them do not want to get dirty , they want to sit behind a computer all day and push buttons. But there are a select few (very hard to find) that want to work hard and learn the proper means to diagnose and repair the older equipment and newer. It is a fine line in my opinion when it comes to this subject matter. Because there are older techs that will only tell the younger guys what to do to get the problem resolved instead of telling them why they are doing it. Or the older tech tells the younger tech that he just needs to leave and he will come and fix it because there is no way the younger guy can. And in turn this does not teach them anything. This is a two way street. The younger techs should be teaching the older techs the new technology they understand and the older should be teaching the younger the mechanicals that they understand. Vice versa...

I also have to agree that the training courses that they provide these days do not properly teach someone how to work on a specific peace of equipment properly. Which could also hinder the new techs in properly being able to learn the eqipment like we use to be able too.. I also think that it has alot to do with the person who is training the new techs in the field. As we all know , HOW tech is trained and introduced into this industry is how well they are going to do in the long run. How the techs are trained to use there resorces , how they are introduced to the equipment... SO on and so on. And best question of all, Is the person who is training the tech the right person. There are some younger techs that could learn things about the older equipment that the older tech may not have known himself and the older tech could only pretend that he knew about it the whole time.

And there is nothing that agrivates me more than to see a tech just swap out parts until the damn thing works. Goes to prove that the tech does not really know what he is doing , or how to properly diagnose the situation. And that is the case with older and newer techs.

And people calling the "genius's" at tech support... HILARIOUS. Alot of people dont actually realize that the people at tech support utilize the same documentation that is given to the tech or available to the techs. Alot of times the older techs in the field understand the equipment better than the people at tec support.
There are rare situations where the tech support gu-ru's will have info on things not available to the techs , but that is more directed at the software end of it.

Again this is a touchy subject matter with alot of older and newer techs. But what we all must remember is to help each other in the field , no one knows everything , even if it is someone that gives all the answers like the wizard of oz. Some people just utilize there resources better than others , some understand the equipment better than others , others are just clueless in life and have no business working on this stuff.

VIC
Go to Top of Page

jgar477

USA
282 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  16:15:22  Show Profile
I'm a "young tech" (30 years old) but my dad has been in this business since 78 so he has taught me and continues to teach me A LOT of stuff when it comes to some of the older equipment. When it comes down to stuff like with Ruby's though he just freezes up and that's where I help him. So its a 2 way street.

But I do see some of the attitude from some of the new or young techs though when it comes to troubleshooting or diagnosing certain problems. For example at one site that was not dispensing fuel from the unleaded, this guy automatically thought it was software related. Is the right firmware installed, cold start all pumps, reprogram, etc... when in reality the problem was a bad relay or a capacitor.
Go to Top of Page

Chet Carruth

26 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  22:51:27  Show Profile
Ah, you guys hit a nerve.......HA!
I turned 66 in January, been working on pumps full time for over 45 years, and some part time work before that. My dad worked me most holidays (we had xmas off) most Saturdays and all summer long when I was out of school..... actually I think I was 13 when my dad took me out to help clean up around his first job. It was all galvanized piping back then, and I have threaded many many pipes by hand before we got a threading machine. Until recently, I had an old "FRY" pump with a ten gallon glass in my living room. I have cathedral ceilings and the top of the old "Crown Extra" globe was ten feet above the floor....... I have worked on most of them over the years, and a Tokheim 77 reset I can repair blind folded.......
We broke concrete with a 14 pound sledge hammer which I still have and we dug ditches with a shovel. I was a Tokheim service rep until they went out of business, so I was up to date with Tokheim until a few years ago.
Technology has ran off and left me, but anymore, the systems are so complicated, and constantly changing, until it is just about impossible to stay on top of all the different systems out there. You can be "Good" at something, but almost impossible to be really top notch on all of it..... so, I will let the younger computer whizzes take the reins, but what will they do if they have to break concrete or thread a piece of pipe? Call a construction company and hire a plumber?
I have worn out three Ridgid Pipe threaders and have worn out three Case backhoes so I feel like I have paid my dues........
If they had made the single wall fiberglass pipe as thick as the fittings we would have never heard of double wall piping.......
oh, well........

Chet
Go to Top of Page

jim smith

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  10:50:24  Show Profile
Do you remember the clicker boxes if not then you have nothing on us old guys. Keep up the fight. Lap top is next for me.
Go to Top of Page

jim smith

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  10:59:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hardworking

Just curious, how old are we talking about? 40's, 50's, 60's?

62 years young and still being asked for help
Go to Top of Page

Coast-2-Coast Petroleum

229 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  08:48:00  Show Profile
I am a young man even though I have been in this business since infancy it seems... I thoroughly respect the wealth of knowledge and experience of previous generations. However, the problem that I keep observing with our older techs is that they are kwazi-retired and only want to answer calls then go home. Our business has always been built on cold calling and selling. Each tech is taught the business and given a territory (usually a well built existing one). We find the guys in their late 50's early 60's just dont want to go door-to-door when things are slow. That is the other side of it. And also, we do have a few older guys who still work harder than anyone. Unfortunately they are the exception in our case.

Buddy "cant bust em" Lee
coast2coastpetro@gmail.com
"The only thing they can't take from you is your story... I'm just trying to live a good one"
Go to Top of Page

steveold7

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  17:58:05  Show Profile

I loved those WPLLD.Just turn off the neon light next to them to fix them J/K.

quote:
Originally posted by smiley74

I love it...It's not that WE OLDER THAN DIRT tech's dont want to catch up to you broadband wifi wireless tom swifts-it's the method which we NOW have to be taught, certainly NOT like it was 10 yrs ago, when a 2-week GB for example class was just that, 2weeks and you walked away feeling like you learned something, not like it is today-my last class for G-site(dont laugh) taught me how to be a clerk or mrg, nothing more-nothing less, Now if SCHOOL was like it was back 10 yrs ago you can be certain WE OLDER THAN DIRT techs would smoke the one's they are turning out today... I'm 55,have been at it since 81 w/6 yrs off due to attitude problem(my fault)but truthfully I have forgoten alot more than I care to admit BUT... I broke my teeth on pumping units, and bennett's/GB/Tokiem/SWest and so many electric resets it isnt funny, you're right, lets see SOMEONE work on a old SC-82 wayne head or 1v or 2v waynes or a 222 or 333 tokiem, I worked on shlumberjunk, AOSmith, OLD gasboys, geeze, the days of hit pumps and I mean REAL hit pumps, dragged off the Islands, how about the Koppens console, oh geeze lets try the Mems I, or II how many of us had to deal with the original WPPLD that V/R came out and had us trial and error their product, some I work with NOW wont get dirty, wont climb in a STP sump, to good to do it, now if you arent a wiz-bang fixer-upper you arent squirt, EFFICENCY, thats the by-word these days, now a days you are expected to whoop out the laptop and load the latest whoppie-ty info jargen on wizbang fix it, or be sure to call one of the know it all's at the fabled help desk and they will lead you by the nose on some wild goose chase when simple deduction has worked then and should work now...For what it's worth WE OLDER techs are the ones who called the help desk and spoke to our product reps with information which has made the BETTER product what it is today, cause had it not been for US you beginners would not have the ease of what the equipment might be today...KPERLOW: I hated working on the Jiffy food stores as they had those dual V/R resets, hell pulling the computer base out of those units and I know as my skinned hands and fingers prove it...

Go to Top of Page

pumpman5000

3 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  16:33:34  Show Profile
Im sure ferriers and carriage 'techs' felt the same way at the introduction of the auto-motor carriage. There is always resistance to change and longing for the old ways (not that all 'change' is good)

I've known techs who would refuse to learn how to even turn on a computer. Life is a continued learning. Without continued learning there is no life. A tech who is expert in obsolescence is no tech at all. Still has some value? Of course. Given less and less work? Of course. There is less and less work they are qualified to do.

In this business 10, 15, 20 years experience is meaningless if the experience is 10, 15, 20 years old.
Go to Top of Page

pumpman5000

3 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  17:01:20  Show Profile
"Funny Just Yesterday Had a Problume with a Tokheim Sub Motor Makes Me Wonder if any of these Young Tech would Even Know how to Disconect the Yoke Assy On one."

I know how. Still got one site with tok subs. Just had to look at it and figure it out. No big thing.
Go to Top of Page

Dan mcCormick

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  04:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Dan mcCormick's Homepage
I know a couple old dogs that don't go to train anymore, but one is close to retirement and the other is more supervisor position and the company cant justify spending the dough.
What I see as more of an issue are youngins that have electronic/pc knowledge but think they are too good to get thier hands dirty. I see that a LOT.

'Tis the business of little
minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience
approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." Thomas
Paine
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
Bookmark and Share
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Petroleum Equipment Forum © 2014 Petroleum Equipment Institute Go To Top Of Page
Register Now! XML Feed Follow us on Facebook RSS Feed Snitz Forums 2000