Petroleum Equipment Forum
Petroleum Equipment Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Users | Search | Help
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Business, Service & Construction
 Service & Technical
 Sapphire SMS deployment - hints
Bookmark and Share
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bstewart

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  14:21:56  Show Profile  Visit bstewart's Homepage
For those that are deploying SMS across several brands within one organization I might suggest a few things.

The SMS installation directory is not the same across brands and sometimes versions.

I have recently started sharing the folder (with read/write access) that holds the individual program directories (c:\program files\verifone\sapphire management suite\version number\) and then mapping a drive to the folder and giving it a short name. The above path suddenly becomes f:\stm. This helps in getting to the tlogs directory programmaticaly and keeps deployment of other companion programs simple and consistent.

I would also suggest using a scripting language to access functions such as getting tLogs. i have also implemented a program called autoIT. AutoIT will mimic user input for automation. Loging in once a day to the transaction manager to get the sapphire tlogs downloaded locally. This helps managers in that they are no longer required to login themselves. Taking reliance on human behavior out of the equation. This also helps with the plu poll/update login error. It can be fully automated without having to edit the rubylink.ini file.

AutoIT has full help files and is simple to use even for non-programmer types.

bstewart

Edit: I have also managed to extract the msi package from the InstallShield Wizard, in order to use the silent install functionality. Not sureif this is information that everyone should have. I can give details of what is needed on an individual basis.

The opinions expressed by the author and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of Toot'n Totum or any employee thereof. Toot'n Totum is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the author.

bailmon

69 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  05:46:35  Show Profile
Are you stating that you have different versions of SMS running on one PC? I have the same issue with our company, different brands different versions of SMS and different locations of the .exe. I like to get in touch with you outside the forum.
Go to Top of Page

mgs

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  12:05:56  Show Profile  Visit mgs's Homepage
SMS is base specific. The one thing I would suggest is to use different site names (sales config) for each location. The newer features will not work with older bases.
we have only the newest SMS installed on our machines and we access different sites/apps
Go to Top of Page

bstewart

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  07:19:04  Show Profile  Visit bstewart's Homepage
bailmon,

I use virtual machines to isntall the different SMS packages, I can load one or more Virtual windows machines and be able to access that particular version without uninstalling or re-installing.

Above base 160 SMS installs in a version directory, in theory that would make you able to install more than one SMS on one computer. However, in my digging and search for everything verifone, I have found that Verifone SMS install is not consistent in the registry keys used and two SMS installs tend to step on each others registry entries.

When uninstalling, the registry keys are not removed as they should be either.

SMS applications may appear to work outside of their "brand" but most often end up with errors in the data, or won't update the data at all due to incompatibilities in xml formats or datatypes.

On top of that Shopak for example has a default user called "gemcom-acct" that Buypak nor COPpak has. Until your applications get to base 160 (a long time for some) I would suggest the virtual machine solution or you can try to follow mgs and just use the latest and greatest base you can find. I just can't take that kind of chance with my data given the inconsistencies found elsewhere in the SMS
applications.

Also might I suggest that all SMS users change the default passwords of the users in the SMS User admin. We have deleted the users that are not used in our organization, created and IT user with helpdesk permissions, and moved away from default passwords.

Brandon

The opinions expressed by the author and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of Toot'n Totum or any employee thereof. Toot'n Totum is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the author.
Go to Top of Page

TNE

USA
420 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  08:28:16  Show Profile
Are you running any sites that use a second router and if so can you access the Sapphire remotely. We are having a company called Megapath to set up DSL comms for the store communication and I want to tie in the Sapphire to get in remotely. Megapath says that they have set it up before and can show me how, but they have also downed a site by thinking the Wayne EC box was the sattelite communications and disconnecting pump communications.
Go to Top of Page

bstewart

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  09:29:37  Show Profile  Visit bstewart's Homepage
We have a broadband VPN connection to each store. We are using two routers, the external is a VPN/Firewall router by Cisco, then the VFI Cisco router behind that with.

The two router situation is pretty eay for us since we can access the VFI router as if it is on our LAN. Each of our stores has a subnet of 192.168.XX.0 where XX is the store number. (Ex. Store #75 has a network number of 192.168.75.0) We assign a static IP to the VFI router of 192.168.75.31, again using third octet for store number. This way the sapphire gets its own network and we keep pur original IP address allocations. The VFI router is already configured for the port forwarding. We do not turn any port forwarding on in the Cisco\Firewall to keep external network access at a minimum. This is easily turned on should we need verifone to use broadband diagnosis.

If you are using a two router system and do not have VPN tunneling capability you will need port forwarding turned on for the first router at all times. Or at least have remote administration from external IP addresses turned on.

The path to your router will look something like this
Wan Interface: 68.15.248.131 ** this is the one your ISP gives you
Lan Network: 192.168.1.0 ** this is something you make up
Forward ALL verifone ports to verifone router
Wan Interface of Verifone router: 192.168.1.31 (static) **matches Lan network a.b.c octets
Forward ports to appropriate equipment (ie. sapphire, v950)

Go to Top of Page

bailmon

69 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  15:31:55  Show Profile
What program are you using for virtual windows?
Go to Top of Page

bstewart

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  07:33:03  Show Profile  Visit bstewart's Homepage
Microsoft Virtual PC. It is free from the microsoft website.

Go to Top of Page

duckpj

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  09:38:50  Show Profile
What are the verifone port numbers
Go to Top of Page

registrychecker

16 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  07:27:02  Show Profile  Visit registrychecker's Homepage
SMS is very base specific. What type of program are you using for it?

http://www.registry-checker.net
http://www.onesourcevitamins.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bookmark and Share
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Petroleum Equipment Forum © 2014 Petroleum Equipment Institute Go To Top Of Page
Register Now! XML Feed Follow us on Facebook RSS Feed Snitz Forums 2000