Petroleum Equipment Forum
Petroleum Equipment Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Users | Search | Help
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Business, Service & Construction
 Service & Technical
 Radiant
Bookmark and Share
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bwalt

21 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  14:39:09  Show Profile
Speaking of the Tiger box, does anyone have any experience with the Radiant system? If it as good as they say as far as recovery from hardware failures and interfacing with the pumps? Any information would be appreciated.

smiley74

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  12:29:15  Show Profile
Oh have you opened a can of worms now...3 days and 2 nites, total 24 hrs and all the while I kept telling them it was there software, but do you think they want to listen...The contract tech working for RADIANT was as helpful as a grave full of dead babies, The site was a rebuilt HESS in Inverness, with GB encore 500S, problem was out of 18 fuel points only 1 had Crind display, no use of C/C's on all the blank, now as for me I started in my D-Box to my BB conector which is a special wiz bang doodad from RADIANT, not the normal BB connector as we all know them, The contractor was as useless as a tit on a boar hog, where they found him god only knows, for every word out of his mouth was : It's the D-Box, or It's the pump intereface, or this one: It's not our equipment, gotta be your's meaning G/B, I changed DBOX brd's, I swapped the power supply, I moved cables, I danced the watosi, He changed the Jaguar box, he changed the sargent box, he changed his shirt, still he clung to the idea it was G/B, working with Radiant help desk was a treat as well, they in their might wisdom swore it could not be their system and that I WAS MISSING, I WASN'T LOOKING ahrd enough for something, they reloaded their s/ware remotely, they rebooted and danced on it and still no crind graphics from THEIR server......Bottom line : 3rd day it comes to light that the programers found the qwagmire as it WAS in their software the whole time and took them 3 hrs to correct this and this is after hard work on my and another tech 3 days this hess was only able to carry transactions inside not outside and let me say customers are not always keen about having to C/C inside if they dont need to...Now, as for RADIANT goes they need to open their doors to open minds and not be ready to just push the problem off on the dispensing equipment so fast cause in the field is where you find problems and not always behind a screen in east no-where.
Go to Top of Page

bigbadjohn

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  07:23:43  Show Profile  Visit bigbadjohn's Homepage
So far the Radiant hardware seems to be solid. Software wise, they suffer from the same problems other 3rd party manufacturers have. It's written as a POS system with pump/crind control as an afterthought, so it doesn't always handle things the way we'd like to see them handled from our perspective.

My advice to anyone installing ANY 3rd party POS, especially on older sites, upgrade the software at the pumps/crinds to the latest and greatest, because that's usually what the 3rd party guys program their stuff to match. You can dig back through old release notes to see what your current version can and can't handle, or just tell the customer up front that they need to upgrade or potentially face issues.

Invest in an RS232 to 2 wire adaptor for Gilbarco so you can plug your laptop into the Dbox and run a console simulator. Tokheim and Wayne also have console programs/cables for your laptop, altho the Wayne version currently requires an ECU which won't help with Radiant. PIE has console and pump simulators for download on their website. You can end a lot of he said/she said arguments in a hurry if you can plug onto a Dbox and can see and control the pumps and crinds. Makes my life easier, I can stand back and drink coffee while the POS guy runs around trying to find his problem.

Red Green "If it moves and shouldn’t: duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should: WD-40."

Go to Top of Page

gemc

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  08:41:40  Show Profile
Smiley,
You really ought to consider taking up writing as a profession. I LOVE reading your posts. I am sure you kept the sites customers and personel in good spirits thropugh all that;)

John,
Great advice!
Go to Top of Page

podczaski

583 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  14:00:17  Show Profile
Hey bigbadjohn,

What does the acronym for PIE stand for? I would love to order some of the simulators you speak about.
Go to Top of Page

bigbadjohn

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  15:27:24  Show Profile  Visit bigbadjohn's Homepage
PIE progressive international electronics www.pie-corp.com, simulators are freely available online.
Gilbarco's pump simulator is on their extranet, the 2wire box is available for purchase from them.

Tokheims WayneTPC is available on their ASCnet, no license necessary to run up to 4 pumps. Waynecom is available for purchase.

http://www.alliedelectronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc make the ANDI boxes that a lot of other 3rd party POS systems use, haven't needed a simulator for them yet, but they probably have one.

Red Green "If it moves and shouldn’t: duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should: WD-40."

Go to Top of Page

petropumptech

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  18:52:16  Show Profile
bigbadjohn,
The link you posted would not work for me, I will try a search for it later but wanted to know if pie had similators for all brands or just a generic one?
Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

bigbadjohn

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  19:00:52  Show Profile  Visit bigbadjohn's Homepage
PIE's simulators are only for their boxes.

Go to Top of Page

petropumptech

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  19:04:46  Show Profile
Ok that makes sense, I was thinking a generic one was too good to be true!
Go to Top of Page

bwalt

21 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  08:59:31  Show Profile
John,

They told us that the Tiger box is replacing both the PAM and the D-Box. Any experience with that scenario?
Go to Top of Page

bigbadjohn

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  05:45:54  Show Profile  Visit bigbadjohn's Homepage
Unfortunately I do. Which winds up being a real pain. I've asked Radiant to supply a generic software for the Tiger as a troubleshooting tool so we can verify the operation of the petroleum equipment, but haven't heard anything back. I think they'll come around as they get more and more brand specific versions of their system out there and realize that there are way too many scenarios in the field to troubleshoot in a lab.

Go to Top of Page

ting

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  17:18:35  Show Profile
I have a wayne site that has more than 12 fuelling points with Radiant. I had to install a Gilbarco d-box as well as a tiger box, in order for all of the fuelling points to work.
Go to Top of Page

dave h

USA
318 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  21:26:30  Show Profile
we have some home depot's with more than 12 fueling points, with radiant and they work fine except Radiant can't find what Pump Busy means, happens once twice a week on one or more card tranactions then goes away for months. In the EK3 ad file and wayne file for the IX DCR's this message doesn't exist.
Go to Top of Page

jmoneype

5 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  07:35:38  Show Profile
O.K. time for a Radiant guy to get into all this fun.
Smiley74 had a rough time and believe me I can relate to what he has been through.
I have been there on the flip side of this coin.
Pump techs not wanting to troubleshoot a possible pump/dispenser issue.
Troubleshoot a problem for multiple days and its a Radiant Issue.
I have no problem replacing a Jaguar to try to fix an issue.
The Sargent replacement is not going to fix your pumps unless they are on-line already and you can not take credit cards,but if this is the case credit will be down inside also.

Some of my war stories
Work with multiple techs for a week (rat chews through cable)damn Radiant should have spec'd out rat proof cables.
ICR's down at a site for a month.Replaced everything under the sun.
Many Jaguars,D-Box Cables,The infamous B&B modified current loop converter. and the anwser was (Electrical outlet not supplying the correct voltage).
The techs we work with ask them if the have a multimeter and they scratch there head .
O.K. I know I came in late on this thread.
Not wanting to stir anything up just pointing out there are 2 sides to this.
If I do not get run out of here .
I will try to learn something from all of you and pass on some of what I know about Radiant (10 plus years installing supporting cussing,etc)I go back to when Radiant was running on Novell servers,Sp1,Sp2,Sp3,Sp4,Sp5,T-160 and so on.Just remember this
U useless
P piece of
G garbage
R radiant
A assumed was
D developed
E entirely

The things I think of at 3am riding to a broken site.
Bye for now

Go to Top of Page

bigbadjohn

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  05:39:58  Show Profile  Visit bigbadjohn's Homepage
Gilbarco slow flow offset is programmed at the pump. It's a common issue with all makes as the prices climb. Turn up the value in CC10 F13

Go to Top of Page

Kennyl

686 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  22:35:45  Show Profile
I spent three days at a SSA site. A pump was run down by a 200 year old woman that could not see over the brake pedel. Once the new pump was set on the island I could not get it to communicate with the tiger. After being told for three days that it was a pump problem I called the SSA tech out and we crashed the server and made support totaly reprogram it and what do you know it all came back up and was working. After speaking to the SSA tech a few days later he gave me the rest of the story. Site crashed and support removed pump 13/14 (the hit pump) thinking that this is what crashed out the site. Once I installed the pump they did not reprogram the fueling positions back in.

I do remember saying several times that pump 13/14 have no lights on the tiger but I guess it didnt occure to anyone else that it was not in the programming.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Bookmark and Share
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Petroleum Equipment Forum © 2014 Petroleum Equipment Institute Go To Top Of Page
Register Now! XML Feed Follow us on Facebook RSS Feed Snitz Forums 2000