Petroleum Equipment Forum
Petroleum Equipment Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Users | Search | Help
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Business, Service & Construction
 Service & Technical
 Can Workstation cause Sapphire to reboot?
Bookmark and Share
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sklwater

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  12:36:55  Show Profile
Site has had problems with workststation, had to reload and put in new Ruby card Friday. He says today, when cashier logged in, Sapphire rebooted. (2 workstations at site). Don't see how w/s could cause Sapphire to reboot.

Cajunman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  13:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Cajunman's Homepage
Remember that the GEMLAN has power at that port, so it can backfeed to the Sapphire and other work stations. I have seen the work station cause problems with the Sapphire. In my case it turned out to be the "Y" cable that was causing the issue.
Go to Top of Page

lewichris

USA
1895 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  13:29:40  Show Profile
ABSOLUTELY Especially if your not using a lan cable, If it is a standard serial cable or cat 5 cable it has all kinds of fun issues with power.

You can do whatever you want. It is your Equipment. Just don't do it at 3:00 on Friday afternoon when i am on-call
Go to Top of Page

dufusmeter

21 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  15:57:47  Show Profile
thats crazy because just two days ago went to logging in on a workstations under corporate everytime used id 1 under any menu in system setup would reboot sapphire chose not to us id 1 anymore all the other id's worked

i want just stop by if i am not working
Go to Top of Page

Todd2869

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  16:07:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dufusmeter

thats crazy because just two days ago went to logging in on a workstations under corporate everytime used id 1 under any menu in system setup would reboot sapphire chose not to us id 1 anymore all the other id's worked

Sounds like a corrupt employee file to me.

VFHD should be able to help with that.
Go to Top of Page

sklwater

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  17:21:46  Show Profile
The Lan cables correct, VFHD dialed in Friday morning and had them pull out the ruby card, also said no corrupt files in Sapphire or W/S ........ The same cashier number logs in fine on W/S #2?
Go to Top of Page

Todd2869

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  19:12:18  Show Profile
I would start looking at power issues.

Go to Top of Page

gdtaylor

USA
2026 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  10:41:56  Show Profile
helpdesk scan is only going to show of LDM's are corrupt, not DAT or WRK files ( employee is a DAT file ).

What about lan TERMINATION - were the workstation positions swapped during the reload?

Greg Taylor
Product Support Engineer
Verifone, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

sklwater

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  11:01:09  Show Profile
Nothing has changed, physically. Same terminations, just reloaded W/S #1 and worked fine for day and half. But, this time cashier logged in, Sapphire rebooted. It was the workstation going down, earlier, every 20 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Todd2869

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  20:07:14  Show Profile
I could be wrong but I stand by power issue.

Seen crazier things due to dirty power/Surges.

Go to Top of Page

termdoc

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  20:36:17  Show Profile
Replace the power supply (supplies). Have had the same issue over and over - Sign into a Ruby - LAN comm quits, have to reboot everything. It seems these power supplies have an "end of life" that we're not aware of. I now carry at least four power supplies (bricks) on my van at any given time and seem to rotate them through in a month or so.
ps - Put all of your printers - thermal or otherwise - on their own power supply - Without question this will save you ton's of troubles.
Go to Top of Page

sklwater

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  21:11:32  Show Profile
I'll be going back tomorrow. I agree with power problems. Changed their Ruby brick, added PS180 power supply to printers, but did not change Sapphire PS as this was not in the equation when I was there Friday nite. If if's a bad employee file, etc., system should reboot regardless of which workstation is used. But only on WS #1. Oh well, I'll sort it out. Thanks for tips.
Go to Top of Page

MadMike

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  23:30:36  Show Profile
Had site last fall that picked up a Ruby power brick from us, owner installed it himself as he has done before more than once. After a week the Sapphire crashed and had to be re-loaded. Wierd, but our guy went out and reloaded it. 3 days later, same thing. Replaced that suspect power brick and haven;t been back since.

Some days you get the beer and some days the beer gets you
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bookmark and Share
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Petroleum Equipment Forum © 2014 Petroleum Equipment Institute Go To Top Of Page
Register Now! XML Feed Follow us on Facebook RSS Feed Snitz Forums 2000