Petroleum Equipment Forum
Petroleum Equipment Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Users | Search | Help
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Business, Service & Construction
 Service & Technical
 Going to school...
Bookmark and Share
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

GassyMcgee

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  17:19:34  Show Profile
I am set to go to Ruby/Sapphire/Topaz school really soon. I have next to zero verifone experience (i'm a nucleus tech). I have heard a lot of horror stories about Ruby school and Ruby/Verifone in general.

Is there anything I can do or study or prepare myself mentally so I don't end up costing my employer over $2000.00? Any tips or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

kmiller

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  17:28:26  Show Profile
The best thing would be for your employer to send you with another Verifone tech on calls to get you experience. It is hard to some because it is so different from Windows based systems.

Kelly Miller
Go to Top of Page

lewichris

USA
1889 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  17:31:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GassyMcgee

I am set to go to Ruby/Sapphire/Topaz school really soon. I have next to zero verifone experience (i'm a nucleus tech). I have heard a lot of horror stories about Ruby school and Ruby/Verifone in general.

Is there anything I can do or study or prepare myself mentally so I don't end up costing my employer over $2000.00? Any tips or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

If your a nucleus tech then you will have no problem with ruby sapphire.

Ditto to what the guy before me said!

You can do whatever you want. It is your Equipment. Just don't do it at 3:00 on Friday afternoon when i am on-call
Go to Top of Page

GassyMcgee

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  17:33:47  Show Profile
I would love to go on some ruby calls, problem is we hardly ever get them. The thought is that we are going to see this explosion of verifone products hitting our area..(I don't get why anyone would rip out a perfectly good nucleus, but that's another question for another day). I know I am probably worrying over nothing, but a lot of people I have spoken with make it sound like Ruby school is pretty damn difficult and being that I have no experience on it at all I am a bit frazzled.
Go to Top of Page

Mrdangerous

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  17:44:06  Show Profile
At least one person in the class will get a Sapphire that's complete crap. It will crash daily and will require reloading daily. The one in our class actually had the battery overheat and catch fire. Make sure you don't get that one.

No, I can't sell you cigarettes. I don't work here and this pile of parts is the cash register.
Go to Top of Page

lewichris

USA
1889 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  17:54:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mrdangerous

At least one person in the class will get a Sapphire that's complete crap. It will crash daily and will require reloading daily. The one in our class actually had the battery overheat and catch fire. Make sure you don't get that one.

So your the one.....

You can do whatever you want. It is your Equipment. Just don't do it at 3:00 on Friday afternoon when i am on-call
Go to Top of Page

kmiller

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  18:10:26  Show Profile
It's true. They have one in every class that won't work. If you end up with it your so frustrated that you could shoot the thing but you will know it inside and out by the end of the class.

Kelly Miller
Go to Top of Page

nelsonpw

USA
1535 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  18:17:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kmiller

It's true. They have one in every class that won't work. If you end up with it your so frustrated that you could shoot the thing but you will know it inside and out by the end of the class.

I can testify. Got cert in June '04 and it's true.

This is my signature. There are others like it but this one is mine.
Go to Top of Page

Todd2869

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  18:26:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nelsonpw

quote:
Originally posted by kmiller

I can testify. Got cert in June '04 and it's true.

Represent!

Go to Top of Page

pump_jockey_01

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  18:43:02  Show Profile  Visit pump_jockey_01's Homepage
Don't sweat it if your already a nuc tech, more than likely you have 2400 experience too.. If you have wayne plus exp it will be a cake walk, It's just another POS. The techs that really have a problem with the class is they don't have any experience at pos work.

No the bags on the nozzles are not to keep your hands from getting dirty
Go to Top of Page

GassyMcgee

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  20:32:30  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies guys. How about the actual test? is it multiple choice, long and painful? I hate those damn tricky worded question!
Go to Top of Page

Todd2869

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  20:51:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GassyMcgee

Thanks for the replies guys. How about the actual test? is it multiple choice, long and painful? I hate those damn tricky worded question!

Written and practical tests that include a little bit of everything.
Go to Top of Page

Mrdangerous

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  05:01:38  Show Profile
When I first went to Ruby school, there was a guy there who had never worked with a laptop before, much less a POS. First day of class we loaded up Gemstall, hooked to a Ruby, and went to lunch while it loaded. His brand new laptop crashed sometime during that first load and never recovered. He was unable to get his employer to authorize him to go get a new one, so he spent the whole class trying to do the assignments with out-of-date printed copies of the manuals and the instructor's old spare laptop. On the last day, we took our test. The written test took me about 30 minutes, the practical about 2 hours (I think we were using Waynes for the test, and all I work with is Gilbarco so I was a little slow.) As I was packing up and getting ready to leave, the poor guy with the dead laptop had FINALLY turned in his written test and was getting started with his practical. As I was walking out the door, the instructor walked back to the guy with a blank test and said "You might better try again." I felt so bad for that guy I couldn't stand it.

No, I can't sell you cigarettes. I don't work here and this pile of parts is the cash register.
Go to Top of Page

Brian.Herrick

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  09:02:15  Show Profile
If you're a nuc tech, verifone should be easy...PC/laptop experience is a must, understanding of gas stations and dispensers (wayne especially) is a must. Verifone just takes some memory to remember what and where things are located. I would definitely agree that a few verifone service calls would be good before you go as well....
Go to Top of Page

Tina

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  10:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage
Sounds like you should wear some protective gear!

Tina P. Rischbieter
Insight Retail Software
518-633-4111 x 101
Web: www.insightrs.com
Blog: http://insightrsblog.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/InsightRS
Facebook: www.facebook.com/InsightRS
Go to Top of Page

podczaski

595 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  14:51:13  Show Profile
Just remember it's not what you know (real world) but what the instructor knows (Verifone world) that counts on the test. The instructors know the product, and thats what you are there to learn. I have been through a few classes, and always thought that it could be taught more from a service tech perspective.....but what do I know !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Bookmark and Share
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Petroleum Equipment Forum © 2014 Petroleum Equipment Institute Go To Top Of Page
Register Now! XML Feed Follow us on Facebook RSS Feed Snitz Forums 2000